Are you raising impact capital for the creative economy?
Upstart Co-Lab is disrupting how creativity is funded by connecting impact investing to the creative economy. Since launching in 2016, we have introduced a Creativity Lens to impact investing, mobilized over $18 million of impact capital for the creative economy, partnered with the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) to include the creative economy as a focus of their $150 million national Impact Note, and launched the Upstart Member Community of impact-focused families, foundations and arts organization with aggregate investment capacity of $1 billion.
If you are an entrepreneur growing a creative sector business; a fund manager investing in food, fashion, media and other creative industries; or a real estate developer building studios, light manufacturing space or cultural venues — and you are seeking impact investment capital — we would love to hear from you.
We regularly feature funds, companies and real estate projects in Upstart Co-Lab research, and share them with our Member Community and other partners seeking to deploy impact capital in the creative economy.
Fill out this short online questionnaire to submit information to the Upstart Co-Lab team.
We are interested in opportunities meeting the following criteria:
- Funds, enterprises, or real estate projects offering a financial return to investors
- Operating in the creative economy
- Generating, measuring and reporting on social and environmental impact
- Raising capital within 24 months
Upstart’s primary creative economy categories are:
- Food (e.g. artisanal and craft food, immersive dining experiences)
- Fashion (e.g. apparel, jewelry, accessories, footwear)
- Media (e.g. film/TV, video games, music, AR/VR)
- Other creative businesses (e.g. graphic design, architecture, toys, visual art)
- Real estate (e.g. theaters, galleries, artist housing and studio space)
We are particularly interested in impact investing opportunities in the creative economy that also align with:
- Diversity, equity and inclusion
- The Creator Economy (online tools & platforms providing increased earnings opportunities for diverse creatives)
- Skill-based training and preparation for creative economy jobs
- Building opportunity and access in the visual art market
- Artisanship, handwork, crafts
- Spirituality, well-being, mindfulness
- Animal welfare and vegan/plant-based lifestyles
We focus on companies headquartered in the U.S., with a priority on:
- the Midwest
- the Southern Black Belt